In the UK, 1 in 4 pregnancies end in loss. Tommy’s think this is unacceptable and are striving to change it. By choosing to donate to Tommy’s through Giveacar, you’re helping us to fund life-saving research into miscarriages, stillbirths and premature births.
With a baby’s death or premature birth come so many emotions and questions that, sadly, go unanswered. Medical science has not yet found the answers to why some babies die before birth, and why some are born too early.
Tommy’s exists to answer these questions.
- We believe in challenging the stigma surrounding baby loss. Parents should feel free to process their loss in whatever way they feel comfortable. We must break the taboo so parents can seek the support they need.
- We believe that every parent to be should have access to clear, informative and accurate pregnancy advice. No parent should have to wait until each medical appointment to ask questions, or cope with pregnancy after previous loss alone. Tommy’s midwives are always on hand to help, chat and listen.
- We believe that we can and must prevent miscarriage so that women and their families do not needlessly suffer. We are bringing together expert scientists and researchers to increase our understanding of early miscarriage and find tests and treatments to prevent it.
- We believe in reducing premature birth, the leading cause of neonatal death in the UK. Around 60,000 babies in the UK are born too soon every year, often facing lifelong health and developmental problems as a result.
- We believe that no stillbirth should go unexplained, and that parents should be given the best possible care in subsequent pregnancies to prevent it from ever happening again.
- We believe that every baby deserves the best start in life, and are committed to funding research into premature birth, and providing comprehensive information to help more parents have a healthy pregnancy and birth.
The impact of our work is clear to see:
- We have reduced the stillbirth rate in Manchester region by 34% since opening our specialist Rainbow clinics for parents who are pregnant again following a loss.
- 90% of high-risk women who attend our dedicated premature birth clinic in London walk out with a healthy baby.
- Women are 8x less likely to have a stillbirth by attending our centre in Edinburgh.
However, there is still a lot to do.
By donating to Tommy’s today, you will be helping us get that one step further to achieving our mission of halving the number of pregnancies that end in loss by 2030.
Help us save babies lives by donating to Tommy’s today.
- £500 could fund a Tommy’s staff member at one of our centres for a week.
- £100 could fund a midwife for a day.
- £50 could fund a midwife on our Pregnancy Line to give life-saving advice for parents-to-be
Giveacar are proud supporters of Tommy’s and all the great work they do. If you have an unwanted car we can collect it free of charge, scrap or auction the vehicle and proceeds will be donated to Tommy’s. Help save a babies life when you give a car to charity.